Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fast Breakfast: Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats

Good morning!  I wanted to share a recipe I sometimes make for our family:  Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats.  I found this recipe from Biochemestia (she's studying to become a PA and posts a lot of healthy recipes)

This is definitely a recipe I would make the night before going to the gym or if we had a busy day planned.  Not much mess to clean up, and breakfast is served as soon as you wake up!




I altered her recipe just slightly:

1 1/4 cup steal cut oats
1 can pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not canned pie filling)
3 cups water
2 cups Milk (I've even used Almond Milk)
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
2 pinches sea salt
Sweetener (Use maple syrup, or Sucanat, or brown sugar) 

Instructions:  Mix all your wet ingredients together.  Then add your Steel Cut Oats and mix until combined.  I usually add my sucanat in the morning to my own bowl. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  If it's too dry in the morning, mix in a cup of water. (I've never had a problem with it being to dry)


I love this recipe because it's super easy.  You basically dump all the ingredients into your crockpot the night before, set it on low for 6-8 hours and wa-la!  A warm, healthy breakfast in the morning!  Plus, there are some great health benefits to eating steel cut oats and pumpkin!

This is what Steel Cut Oats look like
Steel Cut Oats:  Are considered a "power food" because of their excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals such as iron and calcium.   (read more at livestrong.com)

Pumpkin:  Helps with Diabetes prevention (it increases insulin, which lowers your blood sugar) as well as heart and cancer protection.  It also contains fiber, antioxidant vitamins A, C and E, B-vitamins and minerals such as calcium, potassium and phosphorous.  (read more at livestrong.com)

Her recipe makes a lot of oatmeal.  You can reheat the leftovers the next day, or throw it in a smoothie. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this recipe. Keep the quick and easy breakfast recipes coming!! I love them! :)
    This one, your smoothie recipe and quick oats are going on the breakfast menu for next week! YAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks super delicious! I generally love anything pumpkin related, but making it in the crock pot won me over for sure! I'm headed to the grocery store tomorrow to pick up some more steel cut oats, and try this for breakfast on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete